Concessions of SL


(1)        Sylvia admits to breaching the Town Council Financial Rules, by giving contract to FMSS without a tender.
Q:         Let's take ourselves back in time.  We are now on the 13th and 14th, and we're having a chat.  You have already decided no tender, and there is nothing on the record about waiver; right?
A:         At this point, no.
Q:         Yeah.  So that's a breach; right?  You know the rules, Ms. -
A:         I have to agree, technically, yes.
Q:         Technically?  It's a breach; right?
A:         As I said, the waiver was discussed -
Q.         It's a breach of the rules; correct?  Ms Lim, let's move on.
           
            A:         At this point, yes.
A:         On this date, I agree, yes.
Q:         … If anyone knew about the rules, they would know it was a breach; correct?
A:         Yes.
Q:         Who else, among the elected MPs, knew about this?
A:         I cannot recall distinctly, but I believe Mr Low knew, and I believe the other MPs also knew.
Q:         So Mr Pritam Singh, Mr Yaw, Mr Faisal knew? And Mr Chen.  Sorry.
A:         I can't recall distinctly, but I believe that they knew.  Exactly when, I can't remember.
Q:         Right.  I'm not asking you about the date, but they would have known at that time that this had happened; right?
A:         Around that time, yes.

(2)         Sylvia Lim conceded that she owed duties to provide frank disclosure so that considered and informed decisions could be made.
However, she admitted that they did not disclose, at the June 2011 town council meeting, that:
·       FMSS had been asked to be incorporated
·       With CPG’s release, FMSS would be appointed without a tender
·       FMSS was owned by Loh & How.
Duties owed to provide frank disclosure
Q:         And as chairman of the town council, the honest and honourable thing for you to have done was to share whatever was in your possession with all the other town councillors so that considered and informed decisions could be made on matters relating to the managing agent, to the question of the tender, and to the question of the waiver; correct?
A:         As much as possible, yes.
Q:         Whatever was in your possession should be shared?
A:         As a matter of principle, I agree.
Q:         And, indeed, sharing, so that everybody can make an informed and considered decision, would be consistent with your duties of good faith?
A:         Agree.
Q:         It would not be consistent with your duties of good faith or honesty to hold back relevant information from some town council members?
A:         Yes, of course.
Q:        In fact, if you did that, you would breach your duties?
A:         If I withheld, yes.
            Did not disclose relevant information pertaining to FMSS
Q:         … I don't see you saying to the rest of the town council that FMSS have been asked to be incorporated.
A:         This is not -- it's not discussed at this meeting.
Q:         I don't see you saying that with CPG's release, there will not be a tender and FMSS will be appointed.
A:         It was not discussed.
Q:         I don't see you saying that FMSS would be owned initially by Danny Loh, but later by Ms How as well.
A:         I don't think I knew the exact sequence of how the ownership would develop in any case, Mr Singh.
Q:         But you knew that it was going to be owned by Mr Loh and Ms How; yes?
A:         Yes, I believe that I knew that.
Q:         But that was not said at this meeting; right?
A:         It was not said at the meeting, correct.
(3)         Sylvia agrees that she was under a duty to, and should have disclosed the FMSS proposal to the other Town Councillors – but did not.
Q:         … But before that meeting, why wasn't it circulated to the other members, excluding CPG?
A:         I mean, Mr Singh, I mean, on hindsight, I can agree that I could have done it.  But as I mentioned to you before, the elected councillors wanted to discuss the matter first.  So as things turned out, we went to the town council meeting on 9 June, I was delegated the authority, so I just proceeded from there.
Q:         It was not only a matter of you could have done it.  You should have done it; right?  On hindsight, you should have done it; correct?
Q:         Now answer my question.  Having said that you should have circulated it, you accept that you were under a duty to do so?
A:         I think what I meant here was that, yes, I can agree in general that I should have done it after the elected councillors have seen it. 
Q:         My question, again, is:  Having agreed that you should have circulated it, you accept that you were under a duty to do so?
A:         I was under a duty to keep councillors informed, yes, but -
Q:         Thank you very much.
A:         -- they delegated the authority to me.

(4)        SL conceded that:
·       AHTC had sufficient time to call a tender (which she knew was needed) to appoint a managing agent
AHTC could require CPG to stay on as MA
            Q:         And you would have seen, therefore, that CPG had no right to walk out; correct?
A:         Correct.
Q:         And that there was still two years to run, actually two years and a bit to run on that contract?
A:         Until July 2013.
Q:         Yes.  And therefore you were aware that from a contractual point of view, if you needed CPG to stay on longer, you could have insisted on it?
A:         Legally, we had some rights.
Q:         That's not my question.  You had the right, not "some rights", to ask them to stay on longer?
A:         Yes.

(5)        SL conceded that despite this, she had decided to waive a tender and appoint FMSS:
·       By 9 May, it was decided that AHTC would appoint a MA, that was likely to include Ms How.
·       By 13 May, they had acted on the basis that WP would take over management of AHTC from CPG
·       She had done all of this, without checking the CPG contract, or speaking with CPG

By 9 May, it was decided that AHTC would appoint a MA, which was likely to include Ms How
Q:         … According to Mr Low, by 9 May it had been decided that you would go down the route of a managing agent.
A:         Yes.
Q:         Right?
A:         Yes.
Q:         So just let's focus on 9 May, and you've just very helpfully said that, right, you're going to go for a managing agent, but you then said something surprising; that tenders can be waived.  So is it your suggestion, therefore, that on 9 May the question of waiver was contemplated?
A:         I certainly had it in my mind.
Sylvia Lim did the above without checking the CPG contract or speaking with CPG
Q:         By that time, 30 May, had you, yourself, looked at the CPG contract?
A:         No.
Q:         Had you asked someone to look at it to brief you on it?
A:         Not that I recall.
A:         I believe it's "no", yes.
Q:         Ms Lim, that can't be true, because if you didn't know what would happen with CPG, did you ask to see Jeffrey Chua to ask him about his intentions?
A:         Mr Singh, this was 9 May, so I did not ask to see Jeffrey.
Q:         On the 10 May, on 11 May, on 12 May, did you ask to see Jeffrey?  Did you go down to the town council, introduce yourself, and say, "I'd like to have a chat with you because we have some concerns"?
A:         No, I didn't.
Q:         After The Straits Times article of the 10th appeared, did you go down and say, "Mr Chua, is this right?  Are you withdrawing?  Is it your case that you wish to be released?"  Did you do that?
A:         I didn't.
(6)        Sylvia Lim did not negotiate FMSS’ rates even though FMSS was a newcomer without relevant experience, seeking to charge the same rates as the existing, more experienced MA.
When put to her that no reasonable person would spend his own money in this manner, Sylvia Lim said “this is just for the transition of one year”.
Q:         Ms Lim, you seem to be a bit casual with other people's money.
A:         I don't agree.
Q:         It seems to me strange that here is a proposal by someone who's never done management agent services for a town of this size saying that, "I will do it for the same price as the existing provider," who is many more times experienced.  You don't even know what FMSS's costs will be.  You don't know whether the people they hire will be sufficient or have experience, and you are happy to pay the same price?
A:         Mr Singh, at this point in time, I mean, the information was incomplete, so we had to get things moving in order to avoid a disruption of services.  So to answer at that point in time, it is reasonable for this company – we know that they have to employ more staff, FMSS, but it is reasonable for them to adopt the rates of CPG at that time because the TC would have been spending that amount of money in any case.  And of course we understand that FMSS would have to employ staff who have the ability to do the job, and that's the understanding.
Q:         Because it was the residents' money, not coming out of your pocket, it didn't matter to you, to apply your mind to negotiate for a better deal?
A:         I disagree, Mr Singh.
Q:         You were content, because it served your political purpose of getting rid of CPG and having your own people in, to use residents' monies to achieve those political purposes?
A:         I don't agree with the way you put it.
Q:         I suggest to you that no reasonable person, having to pay his own money or money from his own pocket, would do anything like this.
A:         Mr Singh, this is just for the transition of one year, the critical transition period -
Q:         Thank you.
A:         -- where we could not afford any disruption to the residents.
Q:         Thank you.  Thank you for sharing with us that you considered that, never mind, it's only for one year. …

(7)        Sylvia claimed that she had to appoint FMSS because CPG could not be trusted.
However, she admitted that AHTC had allowed CPG to continue providing EMSU services – which she agreed was a “critical service” – because they considered CPG to be “reliable”.
                        AHTC kept CPG as provider of EMSU services
Q:         Well, contractually, yes, for EMSU.  You were content for the contract to run its course to the very end; correct?
A:         September 2011, which was three months, I mean, at that time.
Q:         It's four months.
Q:         Right.  And EMSU, as I understand it, is a very critical service.  Right?  By definition, it's emergency; right?
A:         Essential, I think.
Q:         Yes, essential.  Mr Low, I think, very graphically said that he didn't want to have sleepless nights thinking that people might be stuck in the lifts.  Right?
A:         That's one of the areas of coverage of EMSU, yes.
Q:         So you needed someone reliable, trustworthy and very good to be on their toes to look after this service; yes?
A:         It is a critical service, I agree.
Q:         My question is:  You needed someone reliable, trustworthy and very good to be on their toes to look after this service; yes?
A:         Reliable, yes. 
Q:         Ms Lim, don't rush.  EMSU, you've agreed, is essential; right?
A:         Agree.
Q:         Mr Low said it keeps him up nights; right?
A:         It did.
Q:         So you needed someone who you believe could be relied on and trusted to look after the residents in that situation which might arise; correct?
A:         Agree.
Q          And in this case, it was CPG; yes?
A:         Yes.  For EMSU, yes.

(8)        Mr Singh charges that Ms Lim did not disclose the FMSS proposal to other AHTC town councillors was because it was a “dodgy deal: no tender, no basis to waive, passing the profit to a new company, helping Workers’ Party supporters, all with residents’ monies”.
Q:         … And then you say, "Oh, but it was superseded because they delegated the authority to me."  But when they delegated that authority to you, did they know about these slides?
A:         They may not have known.
Q:         When they delegated this authority to you, did they know about this proposal?
A:         The appointed councillors?
Q:         Yes.
A:         They may not have known.
Q:         They did not know, Ms Lim.
A:         All right.  I can accept that.
Q:         So you got a delegation of authority on the basis of concealed matters.  You got them to delegate authority to you in relation to a proposal without coming clean to them on that proposal.
Q:         Ms Lim … You did a dirty on your own town councillors.
A:         I don't agree, Mr Singh.  I disagree totally.
Q:         In fact, you and the elected members, on 9 June, decided to withhold material information, on that basis got them to give you authority, which you then used for the undisclosed purpose.
A.         I disagree.
Q:         If there was nothing wrong with the transaction, you would not have done that.
A:         I disagree.
Q:         The reason you and the elected members did that is you were all aware that this was a dodgy deal; no tender, no basis to waive, passing the profit to a new company, helping Workers' Party supporters, all with the residents' monies.
A:         I reject that entirely.
Q:         The documents, fortunately, Ms Lim, speak for themselves.

(9)        Sylvia Lim refused to answer Mr Singh’s question as to whether she had disclosed all relevant information to the town councillors, despite eight attempts from Mr Singh.
As Mr Singh observed: “If you were an honest person, you would answer straight away”
Q:         … Is it your evidence that at all the town council meetings that were held in relation to the contracts that this case is concerned about - … all of the circumstances leading up to these contracts were, where relevant, fully disclosed by you?
Ms Lim, it's a very simple question.
A:         No, it's not, because from what I know from your question, you say is it my evidence that for all the contracts that this case is concerned about, which I would appreciate if you could identify which ones, and you say the circumstances leading were relevant and fully disclosed by me, so I think it would be helpful if you could ask me for the specific contracts and then I can answer that specifically.
Q:         Did you fully disclose all relevant matters concerning the tender and the waiver of the tender of the first MA contract?
A:         What I disclosed was in the report, yes.
Q:         You see, Ms Lim, you know what I'm asking you, and you're playing for time to get more time to think of an answer.  If you were an honest person, you would answer straight away.  I'm giving you time to think now.
A:         Okay.
Q:         Did you, in connection with the first MA contract, disclose all relevant matters; yes or no?
A:         I believe I disclosed the essential matters that would be relevant to the decision.
Q:         What is the answer to my question?  Did you disclose all relevant matters relating to the first MA contract; yes or no?
A:         I didn't withhold anything.
Q:         For the fifth time:  Did you disclose all relevant matters relating to the first MA contract?  Why are you having such trouble with this simple question?
A:         Because, I'm sorry, I am anticipating what you're asking.  And the fact is that we have already said it many times that the councillors were aware of the circumstances of the setup of FMSS, and therefore the relevant matters have been disclosed.
            Q:         So is the answer to my question "yes"?
A:         I disclosed what I felt was necessary for the meeting.
Q:         Again, did you disclose all relevant matters relating to the first MA contract?
A:         We disclosed the necessity to appoint a managing agent in the circumstances.
Q:         I didn't ask you what you disclosed.  It will do you a lot of good to answer the question.
Did you disclose all relevant matters relating to the first MA contract?

A:         We disclosed what we thought was relevant --- and needed, yeah.
           

Popular posts from this blog

KEY POINTS MADE BY THE PLAINTIFFS IN CLOSING

FMSS’ PROFITS VS AHTC’S DEFICITS

Background on AIM